Looking Back On the First 100 Days
On April 10th, I, along with many other East Side elected officials, marked 100 days in office. It has been an honor to represent you.
A groundswell of activism among officials and residents, along with a pace that has kept me away from my wife, Irene, and cat Pandora, on more occasions than they would like, I have been pleased to fulfill many of the promises I made before taking office. And with many more on their way, it seems they weren't promises but plans:
* I was front and center in the movement that won $300 million in pre-kindergarten funding for New York City to make us a nationwide leader by giving every child a fair start. We have more to do to ensure our neighborhood gets the seats we need, but our victory has laid the groundwork for this become a reality.
* I am setting aside more than a million in funding to support Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education in our schools;
* I co-sponsored the bill to expand paid sick leave to half a million New Yorkers so we can all be healthier.
There is still much more to do. I am more committed than ever to taking on the challenges and seizing on the opportunities that face our neighborhood and city. As your Council Member, I am taking on the tough fights on your behalf:
* I am fighting the marine transfer station on 91st Street every day, reorienting the debate to focusing on increasing recycling and reducing waste citywide;
* I am protecting residents from unsafe construction and being kicked out of their affordable housing;
* I am bringing accountability to city agencies, from the Board of Elections to community boards;
* I am advocating for ferry service for Roosevelt Island; and
* I am working to provide educational support outside the classroom by supporting community learning schools.
And I am proud to maintain an attendance record of 100% -- because you deserve a representative that shows up!
Thank you for granting me the honor and responsibility of representing you in City Hall. Your involvement makes possible all of my advocacy on your behalf. Join me at a "First Friday" open house from 8-10AM on May 2rd or a policy committee night on May 6th at 6:30PM. Both events take place at my district office on 244 East 93rd Street. Learn more about my first 100 days at: benkallos.com/newsletter/100-days
I'm proud of what has been achieved in my first 100 days in office, but I am much more focused on the promise of the time ahead, and the community we can build together.
Ben Kallos represents the Upper East Side on the City Council
MUST READ NEWS
Sign up to get our newsletter emailed to you every week!
- Enter your email address in the box below.
- Select the newsletters you would like to subscribe to.
- Click the 'SUBSCRIBE' button.