South Street Seaport Fire Caused by Electrical Wiring Mishap


Make text smaller Make text larger



Photos





A fire that broke out at the South Street Seaport on Saturday was caused by faulty electrical wiring, reports the Huffington Post. The fire started under Pier 17 and grew to engulf about 100 square feet, but was tamed in under two hours. Pictures of the blaze show onlookers photographing and gawking at immense clouds of black smoke over Lower Manhattan. The fire could have been building under the dock for some time, according to the New York Times. Fire Department spokesman Jim Long called the fire an averted disaster in the tourist-heavy area-no one was hurt and no shops were damaged. The pier was opened back up to activity Saturday evening, including a planned Seaport music festival. Fire marshals looked into any possible structural damage on Sunday, reports the Huffington Post. Parts of the pier will remain closed for some time as stability in the area is assessed. -Alissa Fleck





Make text smaller Make text larger

Comments



MUST READ NEWS

VIDEOS



Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Neighborhood Newsletters





MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED