Crime Watch

Make text smaller Make text larger

Man Breaks into Tribeca Office and Assaults Woman: Police ask for public's help in nabbing suspect

The day after Christmas, Monday, Dec. 26, in the afternoon, a man made his way into a Tribeca office and assaulted a 23-year-old employee before making off with several items, say police. The suspect can be seen on security footage entering the building on Broadway wearing a black coat, dark-colored sweater, beanie and jeans at around 3:15 p.m.

According to the New York Police Department (NYPD), he then went to the 10th floor, where he forced himself into an office, armed with a knife. Once inside, the suspect reportedly tied up a young woman and proceeded to take what police say was an undetermined amount of cash, a backpack and a laptop computer. He then fled the scene, but not without injuring his victim. While police say she refused medical attention at the time of the crime, she was later admitted to Flushing Hospital to treat a broken jaw.

The NYPD is asking the public to help them identify the robbery suspect. Police describe him as a black man in his fifties, roughly 5-foot-6 to 5-foot-8. Police estimate that the suspect weighs around 200 pounds.

Anyone with information in regards to this case is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline, 800-577-TIPS.

Pedestrian in Critical Care After Being Struck by Motorcycle

Crossing the street in the early hours, especially on New Year's Day can be dangerous, as one recent police incident in the East Village showed. According to police, they received a 911 call at 4:28 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 1, reporting a pedestrian accident. Police say a 33-year-old man was seen crossing East 12th Street in between avenues A and B when he was struck by a motorcycle. At the scene, the man was believed to have severe head trauma and he was taken to Beth Israel Hospital, where he was listed in critical condition. The motorcyclist was a 38-year-old man driving a 1979 BMW. While the driver was taken into custody for further investigation, he was subsequently released without criminal charges.

Make text smaller Make text larger




Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required
Neighborhood Newsletters