Crime Watch

| 22 Feb 2016 | 02:25


Versace VerminIt took three men to shoplift three pricey handbags in a recent heist. At 12:20 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 9, three men entered the Versace store at 160 Mercer St. and took merchandise from a display rack. The sticky-fingered trio then fled on foot. Police searched the neighborhood but could not find the thieves or the stolen merchandise. The items stolen were Versace handbags with a total value of $4,475.

Zip ClipPolice collared a guy who made off with a Zipcar. At 6:16 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan. 5, a 21-year-old man drove off with a 2015 Mercedes GLK from a parking garage inside 200 Chambers St. using a fraudulent Zipcar account. Omar Witter was later arrested on Jan. 8 and charged with grand larceny auto. The dark blue Mercedes is valued at valued at $37,900.

Exercise in FrustrationBring valuables to a gym, and you are going out on a limb! At 6:15 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 12, a 32-year-old man left his property in a locker at the Xtreme gym located at 10 Hanover Square. When he returned about an hour later, his locker was open and items worth about $2,500 were missing from inside. There were no witnesses to the theft, and it is unknown if the locker had been forced open. A stolen laptop, with its tracking application, but unfortunately, the application had been turned off. The items stolen included the Apple laptop valued at $1,700, a pair of Bose earphones worth $300 and Tiffany jewelry priced at $500.

Breakout of Tiffany’sDesigner eyewear continues to catch the eye of shoplifters. At 5:26 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 8, a 30-year-old man removed five pairs of sunglasses from the Sunglass Hut at 183 Broadway before fleeing on foot northbound. Police searched the area but could not find the shady guy or the shades. The items stolen were five Tiffany sunglasses, each valued at $350.

Beaver Street muggingTwo muggers ganged up on a victim downtown on the afternoon of Feb. 12. The Queens man was standing in front of 26 Beaver St. when another man reached into his front pants pockets and took his cash. While trying to prevent the thief from the taking his money, a second man — a 25-year-old acting in concert with the first — punched the victim in the face. The perpetrators fled westbound on Beaver Street. Police searched the area but could not locate the pair. The victim was treated on the scene by EMS for swelling and bruising to his face but refused further medical assistance. The thugs got away with $600 in cash.